Ok, whether you call them stockings, nylons, pantyhose, tights, hosiery can really dress up an outfit, adding length to a silhouette and finesse to your little black dress. Hosiery can be found in a variety of different looks and feels depending on the type of fabric that they are made from. For all my newcomers to the wonderful world of hosiery below is a list of things that you want to know about hosiery. The more you understand about hosiery, the better able you will be to truly enjoy everything that this amazing fashion accessory has to offer.
- Sheer hosiery is delicate and requires much more care, and some hosiery comes with reinforced toes and sometimes heels so they will last longer. When you buy your hosiery, keep the intended use in mind. If you need nylons that are going to last, then you are going to want to buy a thicker, reinforced type. If you are looking for more of a statement, sheer might be your best choice.
- Sheer Pantyhose are composed of the finest yarn, typically made from a nylon or silk. They tend to be very, very flattering to your shape and your silhouette, but you are going to find that they are much more delicate in comparison to hosiery made from other, heavier fibers. The most fragile of all nylons/pantyhose are the ultra sheer with a denier of 15 and under, which allow the largest amount of your natural skin tone to show. These require that your legs be shaved or waxed for best results
- Control top and support hosiery both come in a wide range of fabrics, typically in combination with Spandex, Lycra, and nylon. They offer a gentle and graduated level of compression to provide a better fit, a contoured slimmer silhouette. These are sturdier, reinforced types of hosiery that can meet a wide variety of different purposes depending on your individual need. These are usually your go-to hosiery choice for everyday wear and work. They typically start at a denier 15.
- Opaque tights are heavier and thicker than sheers and control top, and so they are more durable and perfect for cooler weather. Depending on your outfit sheer may not be the way to go, but now fashion trends opaques are becoming increasingly popular to be worn, especially because they can create such drastic improvements to your look of the day. If you are looking to bring more attention to your legs, then using opaque tights will create an even more dramatic look.
- Stay ups are an individual stocking that are elastic and lace on top with a silicone lining for grip on the thigh.
- Stockings are also an individual stocking but without the silicone lining grip. Stay ups requiring you wear either a corset with stocking clips or garter belt to them up.
- Maternity pantyhose is designed specially to provide you with extra room and extra comfort in the top, along with support in the legs to boost blood circulation since mothers-to-be can have circulation issues and leaving your legs feeling tired more easily.
- Pattered tights are best when wearing darker clothes. If you want to elongate your silhouette, then you should aim to match your tights with the color of your dress, skirt, and shorts.
- Fishnet tights is usually an open fine diamond shaped pattern almost like wearing sheer pantyhose. Fishnet tight are both super fun and sexy. Mostly worn by mainstream as a fashion statement.
- Shiny and shimmering sheers for an even sexier look. Shimmering or glittery sheer pantyhose can lengthen or elongate your silhouette and will make your legs look stunning no matter what you are wearing. Choose nudes for the best results.